How Honed Are Your Leadership Skills?
The caliber of leadership in any team or organization plays a critical role in the levels of success and harmony that can be achieved. Take this Self-Quiz to determine whether your leadership skills are honed to a keen edge.
Directions: Answer True or False as you reflect on your implementation of these beliefs or actions.
- I’ve become more comfortable delegating tasks and managing the performance of others than doing things myself.
- Before committing to a decision, I ask myself if it will serve my purpose. I say “No” to requests for my time and attention that are not aligned with my purpose.
- Coworkers and those who report directly to me trust me and my effectiveness as a leader.
- I successfully enroll others in my vision and influence their behavior at work.
- It’s less what I say and more what I do that affects how others perceive my leadership ability, so I make sure to “walk my talk.”
- It can be daunting to confront the issues, obstacles and people that block success. But in doing so, I model courage, persistence and a can-do attitude.
- I hold myself accountable for my actions and the actions of my team/department. I don’t make excuses.
- I will not be able to please everyone; leadership is not a popularity contest.
- I view problems as opportunities to excel. In fact, I focus on the opportunities in every problem. A positive attitude can make a project or objective.
- I seek opportunities for education and skills enhancement, as I want to continuously grow my abilities.
- Everything in my organization/department/team, both good and bad, is a reflection of my leadership. If things need to change, I need to change first.
- I don’t avoid difficult conversations with those who are not performing to my standards.
- I plan meetings to keep them short and effective.
- I treat others how I want to be treated, with respect and dignity; this includes praising in public but expressing displeasure in private.
- I am open to new suggestions and receptive to bad news.
- I don’t hog credit and kudos but attribute them freely to my team.
- I regularly communicate mission and vision face-to-face to my team.
If you answered True to 10 or more statements, keep up the good work! If fewer, you may wish to hone your skills with a coach.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out for a discovery session where we will look at where you’re at, where you’d like to be and how I could help you get there.
Until next time… Choose to Lead!